Friday, February 19, 2010

My Sick Baby



On February 8th my beautiful sweets started running a fever in the middle of the night. :( She wasn't sleeping great and when she woke to feed she just acted like she was miserable. It broke my heart. She had just recently started sleeping pretty good again and it was really out of the ordinary how she was acting. Joey had to work the next day so I was trying my hardest not to wake him up. Unfortunately we did not succeed.. Joey woke up. I had taken Addie to her room to attempt to calm her down and Joey came in to check on us. He ended up getting a bath ready for us. Addie loves her baths and we thought it would help her start feeling a little better. So we took a bath and then snuggled on the recliner together. Although I absolutely hated her feeling so yucky, it was so great getting to snuggle so much! Her temp remained low grade at 99 degrees but maxed out at 101.2. On the 9th (Addies 3 month birthday) we ended up taking her to the doctor because she continued to run fevers and she was just miserable. Due to her lack of other symptoms the doctor decided we needed to cath her to check for a UTI. The nurse (or aid lady) came in to catheterize her. She did a terrible job! She missed her urethra multiple times and didn't use sterile technique at all. It really ticked me off, although I completely understand that it is really hard to cath such a little baby... but it didn't make me feel any less angry at this dang nurse/aid. The verdict: she had a UTI. :( I felt horrible! Dr.Grahm reassured me that it was not my fault, but I couldn't help but feel responsible. He gave me a script for Bactrim and one for Zantac(per my request) and sent me out the door. I also got a coupon for Culturelle, I know how aweful antibiotics can be to your stomach! For the next couple days Addie fought the fevers off and on, pretty much couldn't nap unless she was being held or breastfed and we took many baths.. middle of the day or night- she didn't care. My poor baby made me so sad! Then the nurse called a few days later and said that E-Coli had grown out of the culture and Dr.Grahm wanted to have a renal ultrasound and a VCUG done to rule out any anatomical abnormalities or urniary reflux. Joey and I discussed it and finally decided we didn't want to put Addie through that unneccessarily, so we are not going to do it unless she has another UTI. I am so excited to be done with these dang antibiotics! I think they are bothering her stomach (even with the Culturelle) and I just hate giving her that much medicine. I haven't started the Zantac because I didn't want to put too much medicine on her tiny belly. Unfortunately Addie has not napped well or slept very long through the night since this UTI business. She had previously been sleeping 6-8 hours before waking up.. now we are lucky if we get 3 hours. I am hoping all of this will improve once the antibiotics are done (which will be tomorrow- YAY!).
Even though my baby girl felt yucky she still was able to give me some smiles. It seemed that she would always perk up in the 3rd hour after receiving Tylenol. My goodness I sure love this pretty girl!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Awww, poor thing! I hope she feels better soon!