Monday, January 18, 2010

Shot In My Heart


Before the dreaded shots!

Addie is 10 weeks old today! I can't even believe how fast my baby girl is growing up! I don't even realize how big she is getting until I look at all the clothes that she can't wear anymore. :( But... she can't stay tiny forever. She has so much fun stuff to do as she gets older and I am excited for all those things!

Unfortunately, because she is getting older... it is time for vaccinations. I never in a million years thought I was going to be the mom who would cry when her baby got shots or was in pain. I always thought I would think of it more from a medical stand point and just comfort my baby.. but know that it was completely necessary and therefore not get emotional. Boy was I wrong! Addie went for her 2 month check up last Monday and boy was it a doosy! She had to get 3 shots and then the rotavirus vaccine by mouth. Addie has always been a champ at taking medicine by mouth. She takes her gas drops and vitamin D like it is the yummiest stuff around (other than my milk... she really digs that!). She took the rota vaccine just as good- that's my baby! Then it was time for the shots- yuck! The nurse (or aid... I don't know what she is) asked if I had Tylenol and if not she would give me some. I didn't know she was going to give me a bottle of tylenol- had I known that, I wouldn't have even hesitated about asking for some! I had a bottle of tylenol.. but an extra free bottle is always great! So we gave her the yummy tylenol and then it was time. :( I was hoping to be able to breastfeed while she was getting the shots because I had read that it helps decrease the pain quite a bit... but I was fine with feeding afterward. So the nurse/aid held down Addie's legs and I held on to her hands for support. Shot 1 went in and my poor baby looked stunned and then started screaming. My heart nearly fell out on the floor! It was HORRIBLE! Shot 2 & 3 weren't as bad as the first, but shot 1 was enough to break my heart. Luckily as soon as I started feeding her she calmed down. She still would eat a little and then let out a whimper cry to let me know how much it hurt. I had no idea that it would hurt my heart so much! Addie and I were blessed enough to have Aunt Becky with us. It was SOOO nice to have Becky there with me. I could give support to Addie and Becky could give me support! I was in tears and Becky was in tears... a true bonding experience. LOL. I will have to return the favor once Baby Haley starts getting her vaccines! For the rest of the day Addie kind of felt like junk. She took a nap around 6ish and when she woke up she started screaming. I tried feeding her to calm her down and she would eat and then scream.. eat and then scream. It was awful! So I gave her some tylenol and we took a bath together. When Addie and I take baths together she is able to stretch out and soak a little bit. She LOVES her baths now and she enjoys our baths together a lot! Once she was in the bath she calmed down a lot and was able to relax. She then slept fine that night and didn't have any problems after that. Yay! Our first shots done... so many more to come. ;(

On a brighter note- Addie got a clean bill of health and always does great with the doctor! She is such a good baby!!

No comments: